Want to cook something fast, easy and delish? You just found the perfect recipe. This spicy sardine pasta requires only few ingredients and you’re craving for pasta will be satisfied in less than an hour. This is my favorite recipe whenever I have friends who visits me at home without prior notice. I can whip up a "gourmet-like" dish without being too tired in the kitchen. I still have time to chat and mingle with them while enjoying dining with them too.
The Spanish-style sardines has a distinct flavor as compared to the regular canned sardines. It is soaked in olive oil and other spices. I learned this simple pasta recipe from a good friend who happens to be a chef and an entrepreneur. You can substitute sharp cheddar cheese if you find Parmesan cheese to be a little expensive.
I also have a penchant for spicy dishes. I have made a recipe of chili-garlic paste in my previous post. This pasta makes good use of that chili garlic paste in olive oil. You can adjust the heat level by lessening the amount of chili paste. On the other hand, if you want it really hot, just add more chili paste. Whew! You will surely be asking for an ice cold water if you will try that.
To balance of the fishy taste of this pasta recipe, you can squeeze in some lemon juice before serving or try adding some herbs like a sprig of fresh rosemary or sweet basil. I have grown these herbs at my garden, and I am really happy that they still continue to grow despite the hot and humid weather in the Philippines. Feel free to make your own variations like adding in some capers or sliced black and green olives. It will also add more texture to the dish.
To make the recipe follow this simple steps.
Here are the ingredients and my preferred brand of products. You can use whatever brands you are most comfortable with.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Do not over cook. You want your pasta to be al dente (firm to the bite)
Meanwhile, saute the garlic in olive oil until light brown.
Next, add in the rest of the ingredients. (paprika, sugar, salt, pepper, sardines and chili paste) Stir well and cook in low fire for about 5 minutes.
The aroma is just irresistible. Flake the sardines while cooking.
Next step is to mix in the cooked pasta into the sauce.
At this stage, you can now remove the pan from the stove.
And top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Voila! Enjoy your spicy sardine pasta! Bon appetit!
- 200 grams spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup ( 8 ounces) bottled Spanish-style sardines
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste (see recipe in previous blog post)
- 1 teaspoon papprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- fresh sprig of rosemary or sweet basil leaves for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese (as needed)
- 1Cook the (spaghetti) pasta as per package directions. Do not over cook. Drain the water and set aside.
- 2Saute the garlic in olive oil. Add in the Spanish-style sardines, papprika, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir well. Mix in the garlic paste.
- 3Stir in the cooked pasta noodles, and cook for 1 minutes in low fire. Adjust the seasonings accordinly.
- 4Transfer on a serving plate and sprinkle with the grated parmesan cheese.
- 5Garnish with some herbs (such as parsley,basil or rosemary). Serve warm.